Media Literacy and Media Education: Digital Media for Future
The School of Media of the Higher School of Economics is pleased to announce it will be holding The Second International Research Conference on Media Literacy and Media Education: Digital Media for Future, at the Higher School of Economics on November 26-28, 2015.
Media Education and Media Literacy play a central role in the life of a modern society, where Media is understood to be a public good and an institution for the development of citizens. The Russian Ministry of Communications included Media Education in its list of priorities for developing the media space. Media Literacy should be part of the media ecosystem and education, and News Literacy (a new concept for Russia and in education) should help to develop the audience’s critical thinking and critical autonomy.
In 2013, for the first time in Russia the Faculty of Media Communications (National Research University “Higher School of Economics”) created a News Literacy Course (attended in 2013-2014 by about two hundred undergraduate students) and made it a compulsory part of the degree programme. The First Conference on this area in March 2014 was a great success and attracted a large number of Russian and foreign participants from the USA, France, Brazil, India, Poland, Armenia and Ukraine. More than a year has passed since then and the condition of the Media Space in Russia and in the world, and global and local information conflicts have made the subject of the conference extremely acute and highly topical.
The field of Media Literacy is at a crossroads of many academic disciplines and it has multidisciplinary characteristics. The conference in Moscow will bring together scholars and teachers, engaged in research in different areas of Media and Education, and also media professionals (who work with educational content), to discuss new trends in Media Literacy.
The main aim of the Conference is to continue cooperation between researchers in different universities around the world, studying the problems of Media Ecology, Media Literacy, Media Education and Media Culture.
The main sections of the conference:
- News Literacy
- Media Ecology of the modern information space
- Education and Media
- Arts and Media
- Technologies and Media
- Internet aggression and Digital Ethics: new heroes, old morality and the educational role of the internet (with the Russian State University for the Humanities/ RSUH)
- Gamification of media and education: potential of computer games, animated documentary, transmedia projects (with RSUH)
- The Newspaper In Education (WAN) and the experience of government programmes in Argentina, Finland, Denmark and the Russian Alliance of Independent Publishers (Alta Press, Barnaul)
- Popular science entertainment scripts: educational media projects experience
- Media Art, digital museums and educational space
- Internet educational platforms and Media Literacy
- Media Literacy for charity and volunteering on- and off-line
- Cinematographic visualization of data in Media education
The programme of round tables and special events is open to suggestions and applications. All applications undergo expertise and pre-selection. Extra sections, roundtables and special events will be organized according to the expertise of the applicant.
Working languages: Russian and English.
Media Literacy аnd Media Education_Digital Media for the Future 2015 (PDF, 5.01 Мб)